Recent completed art-ness

You may remember the ceramic vase I was making a while back - well, it's finished now! About time too! I'm still in two minds about whether or not I like the glaze that I've put on it. The thing is when I was asking the instructor about what glaze I wanted, she kept on saying that I couldn't use the ones I wanted for some reason or other, so I ended up settling for one I didn't originally want. I wanted one that would give a lot of texture, and it certainly has done that. The colours remind me of the beach - slate blues, jaded greens and worn stone . . . .



I've also completed my first proper watercolour painting EVER. I've done quick studies and experiments, but not actually set out to do a complete picture. I'm quite pleased with it, despite it's flaws (I'm still learning after all!). The scene is from a photograph I took at the Country Park, on a magnificent, atmospheric stormy day. The clouds on the right could've been painted much better, and the water isn't quite how I wanted it, but I'm still happy. It was extremely hard to get the water looking like water, I spent more time on that part of the painting that I did on nearly the whole thing! I do like the line of tree silhouettes though. What do you think?

My inspiration has gone for a walk recently, but I've long learnt that just working at it is better than just moping about waiting for it to return (otherwise I would never get anything done!). I've newly started to use some metal clay to make some jewellery, which is exciting. I'll post some pics when I have something substantial to show. Hopefully my muse would've returned by then too =).

13 comments:

mel 9 May 2009 at 14:47  

LOVIN' all of it!!! Wow..that vase is something else...I certainly think you captured the texture bit...

And the painting!! Very vivid...it actually looks a lot like the day we're having right now.....I can almost see the clouds moving...

Feelin' the inspiration drought myself...but, like you said, better to plug away and not give those wretched Muse's the satisfaction of knowing they're missed....;)

Pascale 11 May 2009 at 14:23  

I like both, the vase an the painting! Nice work!

Janice Lynne Lundy 11 May 2009 at 16:28  

Haley,
I can't believe these were first attempts. They are stunning. But then I remember that you did go to art school? Is that right? The painting captures the mood so well. I am so happy to read that your artistic expressions keep growing. May the Muse continue to bless you...

Hibiscus Moon 11 May 2009 at 18:31  

That vase turned out great. Love the painting too.

Haley @ Iridescent Dark 12 May 2009 at 10:54  

Mel: Thanks =D. Yeah, gotta treat those muses mean to keep 'em keen innit? Hopefully they won't be away too long though, I need to get making your gift ;)

Pascale: Thanks! I always love going to look at your blog, so it's a big compliment. Your recent Parisian photos were great.

Jan: Lol, yeah I did go to art collage, so despite working in new mediums I'm no stranger to having to make arty things, so I guess it doesn't really count! Thanks for the compliment!

Hibiscus: Cheers! Was great keeping up with your Beltane rituals too.

Suzi Smith 12 May 2009 at 13:21  

I reckon they both turned out great!

mel 17 May 2009 at 05:28  

Me again...I 'tagged' you..

http://cluttertoshine.blogspot.com/2009/05/tagged.html

Oh, and no worries on the gift...ahem...*beads of sweat break out on forehead* :)

laurel 17 May 2009 at 13:12  

Beautiful vase! I've always wanted to play with glazes. Another thing on my list of things to play with. Your painting is beautiful. It reminds me of the time my mom and I were on vacation in the Lake District in UK.

Haley @ Iridescent Dark 18 May 2009 at 09:52  

Suzi: Cheers! Although, I'm always so jealous of the things I've seen that you've made on your blog!

Mel: WOOT! I love tags . . .

Laurel: I know, it's something that I can now cross off my 'list' now, and I would've continued with it if it weren't so expensive to do! (I wish I owned a kiln!) Thanks about the painting, the photograph itself is one of my favourites so it had to be my first painting =D. I would love to go to the Lake District, it must be so beautiful.

breathe as me 20 May 2009 at 17:39  

gorgeous... what can i say... i see not one flaw and am so incredibly awestruck by your lovely creations... (i really am a bit speechless)

Haley @ Iridescent Dark 24 May 2009 at 11:35  

Thankyou Joanne! So very encouraging to hear such kind words. Thanks for visiting, hope to see you about some more ;)

Dj 4 June 2009 at 09:03  

I love it.

I've always had this thing for spirals. This is a very lovely piece. If I saw it in an art gallery I would not be able to resist it.

I love the beach tones, in particular, and the way the design ebbs and flows.

One of these days I will see some of the oldest spiral carvings in Ireland and Malta. If you have not seen these, I wish the same for you.

Best of luck in your work,

Dj
Spiral Steps Support Groups

Katee-Leigh 16 June 2009 at 15:10  

This is amazing :)

I want to learn how to paint. I have canvas and an easel and brushes and acrylic...but I'm afraid to start something because I don't want it to suck. Is it easier to paint with watercolour?

About Me

My photo
United Kingdom
I am a pagan, special needs teaching assistant, BA Hons Drawing graduate, artist, amateur tarot reader, half-welsh, big sister, eldest daughter, lover, volunteer, bookworm, intense dreamer, nature and animal lover, over-protective friend, ex-barmaid, fledgling activist and general eccentric. Nice to meet you =D.

Please sponsor me in raising money for War Child!

Followers

Blog Archive

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.